In a post last month, I exposed a bunch of useless projects that the government thought might be worth investing in because they would stimulate the economy. Here are a few more projects that have been funded with the $787 billion stimulus, OUR MONEY !!
- $1.9 million for “water taxis to nowhere” in Pleasure Beach, Conn. Congress approved the money after a fire destroyed the bridge to Pleasure Beach, but the area already is accessible by foot and rowboats.
- $3.8 million for an urban art trail in Rochester, N.Y.
- $3.1 million for upgrades to a boat owned by the New York State Museum. The boat dates back to 1921 and was originally used in canals.
- $3 million for bicycle racks in Georgetown — the Washington, D.C., neighborhood that is one of the wealthiest areas in the country.
- $1.5 million to improve the street scape in the six blocks surrounding a downtown Detroit casino.
- $578,000 for fighting homelessness in Union, N.Y. According to a local news report, the town never asked for the stimulus money and did not even have a program through which to administer the money. The town supervisor said he wasn’t aware of a homelessness problem in the town.
- $550,000 for a skateboard park in Pawtucket, R.I.
- $500,000 for fish food in Missouri, to help defray the costs for state fish farmers.
- $400,000 for renovations to a vacant building in City of Jal, N.M.
- $380,350 to encourage landowners in West Virginia to grow shiitake mushrooms and ginseng.
- $90,000 for a communal kitchen in Watsonville, Calif. The shared kitchen is meant to help food service entrepreneurs.
The $787 billion “stimulus” bill was passed in February with the purpose of kick starting the economy and saving/creating jobs. As mentioned in a previous post, unemployment has gone up. Can someone please explain to me, preferably an Obama supporter, how any of expenses listed below stimulate the economy?
- $300,000 for a GPS-equipped helicopter to hunt for radioactive rabbit droppings at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington state.
- $30 million for a spring training baseball complex for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies.
- $11 million for Microsoft to build a bridge connecting its two headquarter campuses in Redmond, Wash., which are separated by a highway.
- $430,000 to repair a bridge in Iowa County, Wis., that carries 10 or fewer cars per day.
- $800,000 for the John Murtha Airport in Johnstown, Pa., serving about 20 passengers per day, to build a backup runway.
- $219,000 for Syracuse University to study the sex lives of freshmen women.
- $2.3 million for the U.S. Forest Service to rear large numbers of arthropods, including the Asian long horned beetle, the nun moth and the woolly adelgid.
- $3.4 million for a 13-foot tunnel for turtles and other wildlife attempting to cross U.S. 27 in Lake Jackson, Fla.
- $1.15 million to install a guardrail for a persistently dry lake bed in Guymon, Okla.
- $9.38 million to renovate a century-old train depot in Lancaster County, Pa., that has not been used for three decades.
- $2.5 million in stimulus checks sent to the deceased.
- $6 million for a snow-making facility in Duluth, Minn.
- $173,834 to weatherize eight pickup trucks in Madison County, Ill.
- $20,000 for a fish sperm freezer at the Gavins Point National Fish Hatchery in South Dakota.
- $380,000 to spay and neuter pets in Wichita, Kan.
- $300 apiece for thousands of signs at road construction sites across the country announcing that the projects are funded by stimulus money.
- $1.5 million for a fence to block would-be jumpers from leaping off the All-American Bridge in Akron, Ohio.
- $1 million to study the health effects of environmentally friendly public housing on 300 people in Chicago.
- $356,000 for Indiana University to study childhood comprehension of foreign accents compared with native speech.
- $983,952 for street beautification in Ann Arbor, Mich., including decorative lighting, trees, benches and bike paths.
- $148,438 for Washington State University to analyze the use of marijuana in conjunction with medications like morphine.
- $462,000 to purchase 22 concrete toilets for use in the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri
- $3.1 million to transform a canal barge into a floating museum that will travel the Erie Canal in New York state.
- $1.3 million on government arts jobs in Maine, including $30,000 for basket makers, $20,000 for storytelling and $12,500 for a music festival.
- $71,000 for a hybrid car to be used by student drivers in Colchester, Vt., as well as a plug-in hybrid for town workers decked out with a sign touting the vehicle’s energy efficiency.
- $1 million for Portland, Ore., to replace 100 aging bike lockers and build a garage that would house 250 bicycles.
Study the sex life of freshmen woman? Freezer for fish sperm? Concrete toilets? Bridge for Microsoft? Drum roll please…………..the best misuse of our money is………………….$2.5 million in stimulus checks sent to the deceased. In other words, the government f’ed up and they want us to pay for their mistake. Are you OK with the government to use your money for the things mentoned above? Anyone still supports the stimulus? Last chance to jump-off the ObamaSocialist Express.
The city of Detroit announced last month that they had received over $15 million in stimulus money to be handed out to those homeless or becoming homeless that need help paying bills. Thousands lined up to receive an application they would need to fill out in order to receive help from the city.
Below is a recording from WJR 760 AM Detroit. Listen to the people of Detroit interviewed by the radio station and what they believe the stimulus money is.
I can’t begin to explain the ignorance of these people. Folks, these are the same people that voted for our president. These are the same people who will vote for him in 4 years because “Obama money” helped them pay their bills. These are the same people will benefit from Obamacare (socialized medicine) and see it as the best invention since slice bread. Incredible !!
CBS reports that the administrations claims that over 650,000 jobs have been “saved or created” with $150 billion of stimulus money. As CBS puts it, that is hard to believe. This administration thinks we are a bunch of idiots and they can brainwash us with false information. The are lying to us now, they have lied to us in the past and will continue to do so for 3 more years. This is a joke !! I guess CBS will join Fox on the White House enemies list for educating America. Don’t be fooled folks.